Monday, April 2, 2012

Perfectly Domestic

I am a serial clearance shopper.  A "good deal" junkie.  You can find me trolling the clearance isles at TJ Maxx and Target. 

Case in point.  A few weeks ago I bought 4 flats (FOUR FLATS) of strawberries at Aldi because they were a quarter a package. 

"It was a good deal!"  I explain to Steven as he comes home and is greeted by box after box of the delicious fruit.  For a few days we ate strawberries in everything- salads, cereal, ice cream... it was heavenly.  I fruit started turning rapidly so I realized I needed to do something to it!  Quick!  Lincoln and I experimented with making jelly and freezer jam. 

After buying the bottles, sugar, and gear to make the jelly my good deal turned into a semi expensive experiment.  Typical.




Linc doesn't ask if he can do things anymore- he tells me.  "I'm gonna mush the tawberries!"  





We made a couple batches of jam and jelly and in typical form, I got tired of the project  and froze 5 humongous bags so I could just be done with it. 


Lincoln and I are also experimenting in gardening.  We raised about 30 beautiful seedlings in our house and recently transplanted them outside.  If they can survive the millions of squirrles in the backyard and Lincoln's frequent digging "to make sure they are okay", we will have tomatoes, peppers, onions, green beans, watermelons and cantalopes!

3 comments:

Natasha said...

I've had experiences like this. After Haloween I always bake, puree and then freeze our Jack-o-lantern because I hate to throw anything away. We still have about 6 sandwhich bags of pumpkin in our freezer!

Lisa said...

How fun! I love, love, love eating Strawberry freezer jam - Dustin and Taylor too! But yeah making it takes some time and effort! Good for you guys! Love how Lincoln insists on helping - bet he's a mighty good helper! p.s. you look amazingly beautiful Amanda in that pic with Link!

Rose said...

Oh, you and Lincoln have so much fun! I totally understand your pain. You can also just freeze the whole strawberries and use them in smoothies or just eat them from the freezer. xoxoxoxo